This page is designed to keep staff, families and community aware of the latest information regarding COVID-19 protocols and procedures at CCPS. Our goal is to ensure our communication protocols are thorough and transparent, while protecting employee and student privacy.
For the latest information about COVID-19 in Caroline, please visit the Caroline COVID-19 website.
Updated March 2022: Quarantine and Isolation Guidance for PreK-12 Students *
Persons Who Have Confirmed or Suspected COVID-19 (Isolation)
Students who test positive regardless of vaccination status-
- Stay home for at least 7 full days from the date of symptom onset if symptomatic or the date of the positive test if no symptoms.
- Day 1 is considered the first full day after symptoms started in symptomatic persons or the first full day after the person tested positive if asymptomatic.
- After Day 7, if the person has no symptoms or if symptoms are improved and they have had no fever for at least 24 hours without medication, they may return to school IF they wear a well-fitting mask around others for an additional 3 days.
- If the person is unable to wear a mask around others, they must remain at home for a full 10 days.
Persons Who Are Exposed to Someone with COVID-19 (Quarantine)
Fully vaccinated individuals (completed primary series or booster) or persons who had confirmed COVID-19 in the last 90 days who have close contact with a positive individual -
- Are not required to quarantine as long as they remain without symptoms
- Wear a well-fitting mask for 10 days around others.
- If the fully vaccinated individual cannot wear a well-fitting mask, they must follow steps listed below for unvaccinated individuals.
- Testing is recommended at least 5 days after the last close contact (persons who had confirmed COVID-19 within the last 90 days do not need to test).
Unvaccinated individuals who have close contact with a positive individual-
- Must stay home for at least 5 days after the last close contact with the person with COVID-19 (Day 1 is considered the first full day after the date of the last close contact) with the following options to return to school:
- If no symptoms, get a PCR test at least 5 full days after the last close contact.
If the person tests negative, they may return to schools early as day 6 IF they wear a well-fitting mask when around others until 10 days after the last close contact;
- Without a test, the person must stay home for 10 days and can return to school if they remain without symptoms.
- If symptoms develop, the person should get tested and remain home. If the test is positive, follow recommendations for isolation.
- If the person is unable to wear a well-fitting mask around others, they must remain at home for 10 days from the date of last close contact.
*Unvaccinated students participating in high school athletics can return to play after a 10 day quarantine if they complete a PCR test that is done on Day 5 or later with negative results and remain without symptoms. Without a test, student athletes can return after a 14 day quarantine.
Contact Tracing Updates
Updated 3/2/22: Based on updated guidance from the CDC and the Maryland Department of Health, universal contact tracing is no longer needed in settings such as schools. Positive individuals in any setting are advised to notify their close contacts. CCPS will continue to implement isolation and quarantine protocols as outlined by the local health department. We will also continue to notify the local health department when a student or staff member has tested positive for COVID-19. When an outbreak is identified, as with any infectious illness, we will follow our usual processes of contact tracing and quarantine accordingly.
CCPS continues to follow health and safety precautions as outlined in our Reopening Plan and in consultation with the Caroline County Health Department. As always, it is vitally important for staff and students/families to follow safety precautions and self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19.