Registration processes for the 2021-2022 school year are currently being developed for pre-kindergarten and kindergarten students. Screening dates are also being scheduled and encouraged for all families with pre-kindergarten age children.
Kindergarten Online Registration
An online registration process is currently being developed for children entering kindergarten in the coming school year, and will be available in April. All children whose birthday is on or after September 2, 2015, and on or before September 1, 2016, are required by Maryland law to begin kindergarten in September 2021.
Families without access to a device or the internet may contact the school in April for assistance with registration.
Pre-Kindergarten (4 Year Old) Registration and Screening
A two-step process to request enrollment in Pre-Kindergarten begins in April. Families with children whose birthday is on or after September 2, 2016, and on or before September 1, 2017, may request their child be enrolled in pre-kindergarten classes that begin in September 2021.
Step 1 – Registration: Online registration will begin in April. Families without access to a device or the internet may contact the school in April for assistance with registration.
Step 2 – Screening Day: By appointment only on the days specified below
Families must contact the child’s school to schedule a screening appointment. Vision, hearing, speech and language, and early learning skills will be informally assessed, and take approximately 30 minutes.
Screening Days by School:
- May 5 – Denton & Ridgely students at Denton Elementary, 9:00-3:00
- May 12 – Federalsburg & Preston students at Federalsburg Elementary, 9:00-3:00
- May 19 – Greensboro students at Greenboro Elementary, 9:00-3:00
Regional Pre-Kindergarten (3 Year Old) Program
The Regional Pre-Kindergarten 3 programs provide an inclusive environment for eligible children. Children with disabilities have the opportunity to receive specially designed instruction per their Individualized Education Program (IEP) in the same classroom with typically developing peer models. These inclusive learning environments help children with disabilities and their peer models to develop positive social relationships and friendships, a sense of belonging and membership and early learning skills needed to reach their full potential.
- 2021-2022 Proposed Locations: Preston & Ridgely Elementary Schools
- Half-day schedule, Monday through Thursday
- Two sessions per day, one morning and one afternoon
- Special transportation available for children with disabilities.
- Student peers are transported by their parents/guardians.
Procedures for Enrollment
- Open registration begins in the spring. A referral form, available at each school, must be completed by June 1.
- The number of eligible students with disabilities will determine the number of peer models who can be enrolled.
- Peer model registration packets will be assigned a number, and a lottery system used to select the appropriate number of student peers.
Eligibility for Typically Developing Peer Models:
- Three years old by September 1
- Not eligible for Pre-Kindergarten 4
- Selected as a peer model following an Early Childhood Screening/Recommendation from the Assessment Team
- Have transportation to and from the school program
- Completed the Caroline County Public School Referral Form (available at the child’s school of residence)