Music in Our Schools month was highlighted at a recent Board of Education meeting. Supervisor of Instruction Amy Shepler shared that the National Association for Music in Education had chosen this year’s theme as “Music: The Sound of My Heart,” which enabled reflection on the profound impact music has on students’ lives, particularly over the past year.
Ms. Shepler shared a video created to showcase student work in celebrating Music in Our Schools month, and provided the Board with letters from students expressing the importance of music education. She also gave an update on advancements in the CCPS Music Program over the past two years which included:
- an Advanced Placement Music Theory course
- improvements to curriculum and the addition of several Music resources
- partnership with the Caroline County Council of Arts to provide unique opportunities for students
- a second Music position at North Caroline High School
- professional development opportunities for Music teachers
Ms. Shepler stated, “We are proud of the incredible work that our Music teachers and students put into their craft each and every day. This month and every month, we celebrate the successes of our Music department and thank them for their efforts each and every day.”