Lockerman Middle School’s Lego Team, named the Cosmic Penguins, earned one of the Core Values Awards, a first place trophy for Inspiration, at the 2019 Maryland State FIRST LEGO League Championship. This award celebrates the team that is empowered by their FIRST LEGO League experience and displays extraordinary enthusiasm and spirit.
Out of the 400 teams throughout the state competing for a spot, only 80 made it to the championship. LMS coaches Trina Honer and Josh Dunn were proud of the team for making it to the competition and performing so well together that they earned an award.
Members of the team are:
• Haley Davis
• Grayson Dean
• Chris Ireland
• Areel Naseer
• Hailey Porter
• Matilda Stevens
The FIRST Core Values are the cornerstones of the program. They are among the fundamental elements that distinguish FIRST LEGO League from other programs of its kind. By embracing the Core Values, participants learn that friendly competition and mutual gain are not separate goals, and that helping one another is the foundation of teamwork. FIRST philosophies of Gracious Professionalism and Cooperation are expressed through:
• Discovery: We explore new skills and ideas.
• Innovation: We use creativity and persistence to solve problems.
• Impact: We apply what we learn to improve our world.
• Inclusion: We respect each other and embrace our differences.
• Teamwork: We are stronger when we work together.
• Fun: We enjoy and celebrate what we do!