In the event of a COVID positive case, or a Caroline County Public Schools will follow the guidance provided by the Maryland Department of Health and the Maryland State Department of Education in Response to a Laboratory Confirmed Case of COVID-19 and Persons with COVID-19-like Illness in Schools (updated 11/13/20) and MSDE's COVID-19 Guidance for Maryland Schools (updated 11/13/20).
- Students or staff identified with COVID-19-like illness during the school day will be isolated in a designated area
- A surgical mask will be placed on the student or staff member instead of a cloth face covering as appropriate.
- The school health staff member will wear don the appropriate PPE when caring for the ill student or staff member.
- The parent/guardian or emergency contact will be notified to pick the student up as soon as possible. CCPS Isolate Due to Symptoms letter will be provided.
- Ill students will be encouraged to follow up with their health care provider for evaluation.
- The school nurse will follow up with the parent or guardian of the ill student 48 hours after being sent home to check for any updates if none have been received.
- Symptomatic or positive students and staff will be able to return to school based on the guidance as outlined.
- When the school nurse becomes aware of a student who is positive for COVID-19 or is exhibiting COVID-19 like symptoms, the school administrator will be notified.
- The school administrator or designee will lead the internal process of identifying close contacts including the two days prior to symptom onset with the positive case or ill individual.
- Who? Consider contacts in the classroom, bus, and any other school locations where the student or staff member may have been.
- Each school will have copies of bus seating assignments for reference. The the transportation office will be contacted to verify the seating assignment has not changed.
Quarantine of Close Contacts
- If close contacts are identified and are currently in the school building, they will be moved to a designated area.
- Parents/guardians will be notified to pick up their child by the school nurse who will provide instructions on quarantining and monitoring for symptoms.
- Return to school guidance will be provided as follow up is received from the ill student.
- Close contacts of positive individuals must stay home for 14 days from last exposure. CCPS Quarantine/Close Contact of Positive Individual letter will be provided.
- Close contacts of symptomatic individuals must say home for 14 days unless the symptomatic person tests negative or another diagnosis is determined. If information is received that indicates close contacts can return sooner, parents/guardians will be contacted by the school nurse. CCPS Quarantine/Close Contact of Symptomatic letter will be provided.
- Parents/guardians must notify the school nurse or principal as soon as they are aware that their child has tested positive for the COVID-19 virus, is symptomatic, or their child has been exposed to a person who is confirmed to have COVID-19.
- Staff members must notify their immediate supervisor if they have tested positive, have symptoms of COVID-19-like illness, or been in close contact with a person who is confirmed to have COVID-19 or has COVID-19 like illness.
- The school nurse will notify the Caroline County Health Department upon notification of the positive student or staff member. The nurse of the day can be reached at 410-479-8000.
- The school nurse will notify the principal and Coordinator of Health Services any time isolation, exclusion, or quarantine is required.