Due to the rising COVID-19 metrics in Caroline County and after consultation with the Caroline County Health Department, Caroline County Public School students will return to virtual learning beginning Monday, November 23, 2020. (Phase 1 of the Recovery Plan.)
During the closure, we will continue to monitor and review community health metrics (see Assessing Metrics below) and reassess to determine when and to what extent we may safely reopen for in-person learning. Reopening is also dependent upon our ability to safely and adequately staff schools, which has been challenging due the number of symptomatic and/or quarantined employees.
- Schedule: On Monday, November 23, all students should log into Google Classroom and follow their current schedule. Schools may provide additional information for students returning to virtual learning; however, no changes will be made to the schedule.
- Connectivity: Students identified as lacking connectivity (access to the internet) have been or will be provided Kajeet Smartspots. If the device does not enable connectivity, the family should contact the school.
- Food Services will continue with home delivery. All student meals continue to be free of charge. Families needing to begin home delivery or make a change to current service should call 410-479-3261.
- Athletics & Extra-Curriculars: Beginning Monday, November 23, all in-person athletic and extracurricular activities are suspended and may be held online until further notice. Instructors, advisors, and coaches will share specific information with students and families.
For more detailed information about the closure, please visit the website for Frequently Asked Questions.
Fighting the Spread of COVID-19 – Testing Event Nov. 22
Gatherings of family and friends remain one of the major sources of COVID-19 spread in our community. While we all treasure our holiday traditions, our partners at the Caroline County Health Department and Department of Emergency Services are strongly advising against gathering for Thanksgiving with anyone outside our immediate households. However, if you have an obligation that will bring you into contact with family this holiday season, you are urged to get a COVID-19 test beforehand.
To access testing before Thanksgiving:
- Special drive through testing event by Caroline County Health Department
- Sunday, November 22 – 2:00 to 4:00 pm
- Health and Public Services Building in Denton
- Photo ID required
- Pre-registration encouraged with the Health Department at 410-479-8000
Please keep an eye out for additional testing opportunities that will be made available in the coming weeks to help respond to the surge in cases. Follow the Caroline County Department of Emergency Services on Facebook for the latest testing information.
The decision to close a school or school systems ultimately rests with CCPS. However, we rely heavily on the guidance and recommendations of the Caroline County Health Department and the Maryland Department of Health.
Multiple data points (which are set forth by the Governor and in the MSDE Recovery Plan) are accessed daily and include:
- A case rate which includes 15 positive cases per 100K
- A positivity rate of the county of 5% or higher
- An upward trend of data over a 7-day period
Data for the state and all counties are updated daily on the Maryland COVID-19 Data Dashboard.