Providing for children with special needs takes teamwork. CCPS works closely with parents and families to ensure every child reaches their full potential.
Family Support Services
Resource Centers for Families and Schools are partnerships between the local school system and the
Maryland State Department of Education. The purpose of these centers is to empower families and
education professionals to function as equal partners in the decision-making process for children with
Resource Centers help families and educators in Caroline County by:
- Providing support, information, and resources on disabilities and community services
- Assisting families to resolve concerns and make informed decisions regarding their child's education
- Increasing parent involvement and collaborative partnerships between families and
Information available through Resource Centers:
- Information & Referral Center - to answer your questions
- Multi-Media Lending Library - resources available for you to borrow
- Assistance with the IEP (Individualized Education Program)
- Understanding Special Education (USE) - an introductory course designed to help families and
educators understand the special education process and procedural safeguards.
- IEP Participation/Successful IEP's - Understanding the role each member of the IEP team plays
and how to participate successfully.
- Transition at 14 - a workshop series that will assist in the process of transitioning from school
into adult life.
- Sibshops - Support and training for siblings of children with disabilities
- Caring for the Caregiver - For caregivers who are providing long-term care for others at home.
- Stress Management - A fun approach for understanding the good and bad of stress and how to
use them to your benefit.
- Stepping Ahead to Success - Transition at age 3.
- Ready Set Go! - Understanding the importance of positive preparation of families to enter into
or return to school.
- 1, 2, 3 Magic - Discipline strategies for children.
- Letter of Intent - Learn what a letter of intent is and make a notebook for caregivers to
understand the family's wishes for the future of your child with disabilities.
- All About Me - Make a book all about your child that will become a tool to use with daycare
providers, teachers, doctors, and others that will come in contact with your child. This book can
be used as a wonderful tool to open communication and start dialogues with others.
- Passport to Success - Mini-session used to help families to become effective parents.
- Bullying Strategies - Intervention strategies and understanding bullies.
- Disability Etiquette - For businesses and individuals to understand others with disabilities and
how to properly interact.
- Other Workshops - Seminars and inservices especially designed to meet the needs of families
- Discovery Days
- Mom's / Grandmother's Support Groups
- Information about local, state, and national parent organizations
- Facilitation of parent support groups and agency linkages
For more information about the Family Support Services:Resource Center for Families and Schools in
Caroline County, call 410-479-3609.
Parental Rights & Resources
Maryland Procedural Safeguards Notice - English
Maryland Procedural Safeguards Notice – Spanish
Maryland Procedural Safeguards Notice – Haitian Creole
Procedural Safeguards Summary - English
Procedural Safeguards Summary – Spanish
Procedural Safeguards Summary – Haitian Creole
Companion to Procedural Safeguards